Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pre-K Phys. Ed. Fun!!


Day 2: My lab group, the Scooby Snacks, were assigned to go out to the playgroud with the
Pre-K students. When we arrived, I encountered a pair of bright blue eyes that peered around the outside of the tunnel and in a flash disappeared again. I went into stealth mode and began to approach the tunnel. Again his eyes peered and disappeared but this time a giggle followed. I was very sneaky and peered through the opposite end of the tunnel and saw him looking for me again. Boo! He looked at me and a roar of laughter followed. I told him my name and asked if he wanted to play a game. A few minutes of Hide n' Go Seek became exhausting so we both agreed to play another game. Our attention was grasped by a boy standing on the very top of these climbing blocks. He was jumping from a height that was more than 5 foot high and pretended to be Spider Man as he jumped, shot out his web and landed on the ground. I asked my blue eyed friend if he wanted to jump with them and his body language became obvious that he wasn't interested by crossing his arms and crouching to hold his knees and curl into a ball. He said that he couldn't jump as well as the other boys and that it was too high off the ground for him. I told him that I could hold his hands and that he could jump from a lower block on the playground which seemed to spark his interest. I held his hands and counted to three and helped him achieve a smooth landing. We did this a few times until he said that he wanted to "blast off" of a higher block. "Blast off" reminded me of a song called Zoom Zoom and I told him we should pretend to blast off to the moon and use a countdown to practice numbers. We sang, "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom, we're off to the moon! 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Blast OFF! After a few times singing we were able to jump from the highest block and with only holding one of my hands. This progression really seemed to show improvement not only with him, but when other children on the playground began to ask if they could 'Zoom' with us. This was really a boost of confidence for him and he began to lead the song for his friends. The children were actively climbing the blocks and jumping from off of them, singing the song, counting backwards, and doing a little dance to crouch down before blast off, it was so much fun!! Even some of my lab partners joined in and we took turns with some other students.

No comments: